• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

rippetoe workout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sony123

Bluelighter
i want to start doing this routine, but the work out facility only has one of those racks where the bar is safety latched on.(smith machine) The weights cant get all the way to the ground keeping me from doing dead lifts. what are some other good exercises that i can to do to substitute for the dead lift?

thanks

A gym where you can't deadlift? I'm guessing that if you can only deadlift on a smith, then there's no free weight squat rack. Not being able to do the SS exercises on free weighs completely bypasses the basic philosophies of Rip's program.

In all honesty, you need a new gym.

Never go to a gym that doesnt let you deadlift, doesnt have a power rack or doesnt have a squat rack.

well i don't really pay for it, its the fitness center at my apartment complex. anyone have a suggestion for a work out routine that i can use the smith machine for?

The only reason I could think of why a gym wouldn't let you deadlift is noise. In that case, you have many alternatives. To name a few:

Partial deadlifts--similar to rack pulls, but the barbell stays in the air, and never touches a rack. Doesn't work the legs much, but still has the same effect on the back.

Load up the bar with 25's instead of 45's, and let the plates come within an inch of the floor.

Stand on a box.

The OP stated that they don't have the equipment to deadlift, not that deadlifts weren't allowed.

Those modifications completely bypass the point of the deadlift which is that there is no muscle elasticity involved in the movement. Rather, you move the weight from a dead stop.

The problem with the Smith machine is that it stabilizes your body through the range of motion which prevents you from truly engaging all of the muscles in your body that are required to go through a squatting or deadlifting motion.

You can do stiff-legged deadlifts with barbells. Does you gym have barbells?

Smith machines are shit. They are only good for calf raises and possibly rehabing injuries.

hey man, do you have a garage or something? You can buy a NICE power rack for about 300 and a bar withweights for about the same price. So for about 500 or so you can have your own power rack and barbell with plates up to 275. You'll need to buy additional 45s after a few months of lifting probably (once you're pulling 3 pps ie 315 in deads). Add a stereo system and some death metal CDs and you have your own home gym :D

Status
Not open for further replies.